[blindkid] One additional thought

Richard Holloway rholloway at gopbc.org
Thu Feb 28 08:20:39 UTC 2013

It must seem I could have nothing else to say about this topic, but I have so much of this dancing through my head it is hard to concisely explain all of this.

I've tried to explain this before-- one other way I evaluate my guess about what these signs might do to help, is I look at what I personally know about driving. I know and recall seeing and reacting with increased caution to signs such as those for deaf children even before I had a blind child to consider (or any other direct connection to any child with a special need that might make me extra sensitive to such situations).

I only specifically recall deafness-related signs from that timeframe, but I cannot imagine being less reactive or less cautions, had I seen a "blind child" sign.

So many times I have read how we should turn to the organized blind to learn about blindness. Surely there is some wisdom there, however, by the same token, if you want to know about parenting, ask parents (which I know that you are, but some of those posting and arguing are not), and if you want to know about driving cars and what drivers will react to? Maybe ask some drivers. I may have only been a parent of a blind child for 10 years and a parent-in-general for 19, but I've been driving cars and a variety of vehicles for over 30 years. I think that too deserves a touch of weight in these matters.

As with some other items, if I know for a fact that I used to react with caution to signs well before I knew anyone involved with these kinds of situations, I think it is reasonable that others might do likewise. Perhaps something to ponder.

Once again, best regards.