[blindkid] Elementary School iPad Experience

DrV icdx at earthlink.net
Tue Jan 29 01:40:17 UTC 2013

We have also run into all sorts of accessibility issues & it seems like we
are constantly trying to find ³work-arounds².

California¹s idea of an electronic textbook for a BrailleNote is
functional enough that we still want access to it, but it is a huge
stretch to call it accessible, is FAR from an equivalent experience of
sighted peers, & is certainly not an adequate replacement for a hard copy
embossed textbook or workbook.

I am certainly a proponent of technology & am a firm believer in its
potential benefits.

That being said, as a parent it is frustrating to hear educators nearly
always proclaim accolades & what amounts to flowery rosy one-sided
presentations of the wonders of iPads & such, with virtually no
acknowledgement of the real problems vi & braille-reading users,
especially the younger students, & those with no functional vision face. I
realize things are getting better, but the true reality is that at this
point there are still significant shortcomings related to the software
(including VoiceOver), pairing of hardware, & the lack of training that
most of the teachers (vi & gen ed) have in blindness technologies, not to
mention the lack of training of our kids that many parents share.

There exists a huge gap between what should be & what isŠ

----