[blindkid] On the Future of Braille: Thoughts by RadicalBrailleAdvocates (Bookshare)

Richard Holloway rholloway at gopbc.org
Tue Jul 16 05:00:23 UTC 2013

Sounds really nice, even though it would probably just be a reading solution for books. The shame is that it wold be very possible to design such a piece to be driven also by a computer with a screen reader (through USB) for only a tiny bit extra. All the cost with all of these refreshable devices is the Braille itself.

The big breakthrough that will surely come at some point is a new Braille technology solution. People inside places like Freedom Scientific and Humanware make it clear that such a thing is a priority for both companies.

Ideally, some existing technology (existing but not yet adapted for braille), or a new one intended for a broader market will bring forth a solution to make Braille far cheaper and possibly permit solutions like an entire PAGE of refreshable Braille.

Imagine being able to work with an entire math problem all on the same page, like a page of Braille on paper, but you could edit it. Then imagine graphics in refreshable Braille, and once that happens, imagine that same page of Braille dots tied to a camera with smart software that would permit a wearable camera to produce a mobile tactile image of one's surroundings.

All of this and more is only a matter of time.

Sent from my iPhone