[blindkid] Question: Braille Displays or Paper Braille for Increased Reading Speed?

Richard Holloway rholloway at gopbc.org
Tue Jul 16 20:00:18 UTC 2013

I would suspect the opposite is true. A braille display has the same "spacing" between every line. (no space, you just return left) so you never loose track of the next line and you don't have to really find it with your left hand. Some readers like the shorter travel of a 20 character display, so much so that some wider displays will let you limit the width of the display to reduce the area you have to travel.

I know some readers who prefer the narrow displays. Our daughter much prefer the wider one. Books are however they are; no control.

Also, there are no pages to turn, no additional volumes to access to change parts of book or even whole books. Some displays allow you to change the dot height, and there are never issues with ghosted text from old compressed pages. Pages don't get torn and the comb binding never lets pages fall out and get lost or reassembled incorrectly.

I can't speak for others, but I'm certain my daughter, a fast braille reader herself, is much faster with a braille display than with braille on paper. Surely speed on either medium would increase with use over time however.