[blindkid] Question: Braille Displays or Paper Braille for Increased Reading Speed?

Arielle Silverman arielle71 at gmail.com
Tue Jul 16 22:28:25 UTC 2013

Excellent question. It would be an interesting and timely question for
Braille researchers to tackle. I don't know the answer. I grew up
reading tons of hard-copy Braille and started using refreshable
Braille notetakers for writing in seventh grade, but still did most of
my textbook and pleasure reading in hard copy until I was in grad
school. I can read about 300 words per minute in contracted Braille on
paper (about 200 wpm in uncontracted Braille). My hunch is that I
would be slower on a refreshable device, at least with my
RefreshaBraille since I have to take a moment to move my right hand up
and press the advance button after each line. I suppose a key factor
is whether the device auto-scrolls and how easy it is to control the
scroll rate. I never liked auto-scrolling much because sometimes my
reading rate varies as I go through a piece of reading material. I
would think manual scrolling would slow people down a little bit. But
if you're auto-scrolling at an appropriate rate, then the advantages
Richard mentioned might promote faster speed. I definitely think the
Braille display is better practice than none at all, and would
definitely build fluency even if it doesn't build speed per se as much
as hard copy would. In the end, fluency is really the main goal to be
achieved and speed is just one aspect of fluency. I also think Braille
notetakers are great for building Braille writing skills since they
are much more convenient and portable than manual Brailling devices
that require lots of paper and such.

Arielle