[blindkid] Question: Braille Displays or Paper Braille for Increased Reading Speed?

Richard Holloway rholloway at gopbc.org
Wed Jul 17 16:08:59 UTC 2013

I think that ultimately, our kids are going to be mostly reading electronic braille-- just like I, and I assume most of us here who are sighted, read mostly a from computer screen or the like. I may go entire days without touching a pen or pencil, or a print book, while I will read and type page after page on a computer, iPad, or iPhone.

It doesn't really matter that I very much enjoy reading print books and magazines. Most of what I want to read these days is more available (often EXCLUSIVELY available) electronically. If I need a print copy, I print it myself. So it can be with braille. If hardcopy is needed, emboss it. Physically printed media and physically embossed paper braille (or thermoform plastic, or whatever) is time consuming and costly to produce. It consumes resources and storage space. We encourage people to be "paperless" whenever possible. Why not groom that thought process for blind students as well?

Things that need extensive study and research, like a text book that gets read and re-read, and things that do seem to work better when a paper copy is available-- like diagrams, charts, and the like, which i concede often work poorly for the blind, are still MORE accessible when properly produced as a tactile graphic of some sort than simply described in passing by text, or certainly better than being omitted entirely.

I don't think diagrams help Kendra in the same way that their print counterparts would help a sighted student in most cases, but failing to offer her ANY sort of demonstration of such an illustration is jut not appropriate. Who am I as a sighted person to determine if a blind reader will find an adapted graphic item useful? I certainly don't expect my sightless daughter to tell me how useful an entirely visual item (like a photograph in a web site) is or is not for me.

Adapted graphics sometimes intentionally omit information to focus only on what is supposedly important to the blind student. Well, who is to say what will or will not be important? If the information was to be intentionally left out, then why wasn't it deleted from the print book? This reflects a conceptual problem on the part of the transcriber or the transcription process, as I see it.

I guess I may seem to contradict myself, but what I'm driving at is I think electronic braille is best in many cases, but for exhaustive study or to convey non-text information, hardcopy will still be needed, especially until we have a way to convey tactile representations of non-priint data electronically.

Part of the challenge for many of us may be the broader electronic perspective of today. My (typically sighted) 19-year-old told me that several of her textbooks at college last year were exclusively electronic. When I think back to college in the 1980's, I think of large stacks of heavy print books. E-books are something of a paradigm shift for my tired brain.

The thing to remember is that it isn't the e-books that are the underlying problem, it is the lack of access to the e-book content.