[blindkid] On the Future of Braille: Thoughts by RadicalBraille Advocates (Bookshare)

Richard Holloway rholloway at gopbc.org
Wed Jul 24 01:22:09 UTC 2013

Debi,

We have used the factory-supplied displays with a PAC mate, an mPower, an Apex, as well as a couple of different Focus 40 models from Freedom Scientific with everything from a Desktop PC with JAWS to an iPad and an iPod / iPhone. Even as I type this, my daughter is web surfing with her iPod and a Focus 40 Blue right across the room...

We have also explored the rather small displays like the Focus 14. Kendra prefers larger displays and especially full sized Braille keyboards. (She explains that the focus 14 keyboard is annoyingly small.)They all work just fine from a technology standpoint.

Ultimately this comes down to personal preference. This is much like asking sighted (or blind for that matter) users if they prefer Mac or PC, and which model (or PC Brand) is best, or maybe trying to learn what car is best for your personal application based only on advice. Few of us would buy a car without a test drive, right?

Some braille display users swear by 32 or 40 character displays. Some users want less hand travel per line and prefer the (also less expensive) 20 character displays. Your child's school may well offer some equipment to use, and you may have less control there, but if you're able, get to an NFB national convention and explore the equipment from various vendors. Or perhaps a state convention near you may have equipment to demonstrate.

Other options include contacting Freedom Scientific, or Humanware to find a local sales rep. (There are other products, like the Braille Sense too-- I'm not certain who makes them... My daughter thinks they are "too clunky", but some like them a lot.) There may some sales reps who can show you show you some demo gear.

There are also likely to be NFB members in your local area (check with your state division) who could let you explore some gear, and last but certainly not least, there may be other parents-- perhaps members of this list who would be glad to show you some equipment. We have done this a number of times with our daughter's help.

I will mention that we started off with two different 20 character displays (one each from Freedom Scientific and from Humanware) and while my daughter now would say they are "too small", before she got accustomed to having a 32 on her note taker and a 40 on her computer, a 20 character display was a very nice option in the beginning. Probably many users, once adjusted to the wider displays, may be less happy with less info a available between line advances...

Where are you located?...

Sent from my iPhone