[blindkid] transition to college

Kim Gulf Images kim at gulfimagesphoto.com
Tue Jun 11 22:08:01 UTC 2013

Debbie,
I can't believe Winona is getting ready for college! What great news! I will share with you the advice given to us. That advice was to attend rehab training prior to entering college. Most said they found life too full to do it after college graduation as they were busy trying to find jobs, paying off college loans, or starting a family. This advice was from NFB college students at the time. Our DBS caseworker also tried to persuade Kayleigh to attend our state rehab facility. It was my understanding that Kayleigh was legally allowed to attend the training facility of her choice. We stood by that law and DBS ended up paying for her training at LCB. I don't believe she would have had the success of living on a campus and attending classes without her training. We live 3 hours away and knew she would have to take care of every need herself.
Good luck in whatever decision you make!
Regards,
kim Cunningham

Sent from my iPad