[blindkid] feelings of blind children

Sally Thomas seacknit at gmail.com
Mon Mar 4 21:24:13 UTC 2013

Alison,

Like you said, the complexity of the question will dictate how you answer.
 I'm the parent of a blind 16 year old.  He has never been particularly
curious about why he is different than other kids.  We have tried to treat
him like an individual and encourage his strengths and help him in areas
where he needs help.  He knows that we work hard to get him what he needs
to deal with his blindness.  In my opinion, the best thing we have done for
him with regard to his blindness is expose him to other blind kids and
adults.  We started attending NFB conventions when he was 5.  He has also
attended several camps for blind kids and has great friends who are blind.
 Helping our son know he's not the only blind person out there and that
blindness is not the end of the world has been good for him and for us.

Sally Thomas