[blindkid] apps

Bonnie Lucas lucas.bonnie at gmail.com
Wed Mar 6 07:22:50 UTC 2013

A note here on dictation and Fleksy--For me, dictation has just about become
the preferred method of texting and even sending emails. This is because I
have figured out what to do and what not to do. When it does make a mistake,
it is fairly easy to go back and edit the error. Though I like the way
Fleksy works, if you make a mistake, it is difficult to edit it and I
personally have not figured out how to read specific parts of the note. When
you flick up with two fingers, it will read the entire message to you. Then
you have to choose where you are going to put the message, text, email, etc.
Once you have done that, you can edit it but that is too many steps for me.
One more thing about Fleksy is that it is fairly important to have a very
good knowledge of the layout of the querty keyboard because this is the way
you type on it. If you are close in the vicinity of the letter, it does work
quite well, but if you are unsure about where a letter is, you have to look
for it just the same as you would when you type with the iPhone keyboard. By
the way, one other problem with Fleksy, as I have experienced, is that it is
very easy to inadvertently delete things. Perhaps since your daughter is
young, she will pick up on Fleksy and have absolutely no problem with it. If
she knows Braille, check out Braille Touch. I haven't bought the full
version yet and I am not as good on it as I am on Fleksy yet but it has some
real potential. I also recommend to everyone that you become familiar with
applevis. I know there are a lot more places to look for apps but that site
has so much information and some really well written reviews. Have fun!
Bonnie Lucas