[blindkid] Why JAWS?

Penny Duffy pennyduffy at gmail.com
Wed Mar 6 23:21:36 UTC 2013

I agree with Jim She should be exposed to both..

The reason she should be exposed JAWS is that most computers in the work
word and in many schools is windows and JAWS is the most common screen
reader.  She should know how to use a PC.  There are other screen readers..
There is a debate if student HAS to learn JAWS over another screen reader
but they very well may be given that screen reader as there only open in
school, collage or employment.  Than again who knows what will be the
'computers' in ten years.

On Wed, Mar 6, 2013 at 5:35 PM, <jim at riversedgehomes.com> wrote:

> Hi Brandon,
>
> Grrrr. Cost is NOT supposed to be a factor on what needs are met in the
> IEP.
>
> The answer, of course, is both. The notetaker is critical for Emilia's
> exposure to and use of Braille. It is essential.
>
> Use of a standard is critical for Emilia's exposure to the world of the
> rest of us. It' what's expected in business and collegiate life. It is
> fortunate that Mac has Voiceover. But, in my opinion, not knowing the JAWS
> commands will limit Emilia to running MAC systems only and prevent her
> from access to Microsoft products in her future.
>
> Lauren uses both now, but she is grateful that she knows JAWS so well.
>
> My two cents,
>
> JIm
>

> > I'm trying to make sense of a recent conversation with our daughter's
> > TVI, who I realize is not up speed on technology - to be fair, neither
> > am I. We were discussing a braille notetaker vs. braille display +
> > computer. The TVI thinks she can justify the cost of a notetaker to
> > the district by not having to get JAWS. Her impression is that JAWS is
> > only for screenreading of internet material, which a notetaker can
> > theoretically do. Here is my question for those who are ahead of us on
> > this issue: If you have a notetaker at the elementary level and home
> > computer access with Voiceover, is there a strong reason to have/learn
> > JAWS? We have the MS Office for Mac on the home computer, so I'm less
> > concerned about Emilia missing out on the Windows experience than I am
> > about her getting more acquainted with accessing school curriculum,
> > doing school work, etc. by electronic means. Thanks. Brandon

> > blindkid:
> >
> http://nfbnet.org/mailman/options/blindkid_nfbnet.org/jim%40riversedgehomes.com

> http://nfbnet.org/mailman/options/blindkid_nfbnet.org/pennyduffy%40gmail.com

--Penny