[blindkid] Why JAWS?

Arielle Silverman arielle71 at gmail.com
Thu Mar 7 00:42:12 UTC 2013

I think part of it depends on what size Braille display she would get
if she went the JAWS plus Braille display route. If it's a portable
display like RefreshaBraille, she probably doesn't need a notetaker on
top of that. But if the Braille display they want to get is a huge 40
or 80-cell one, she may need the notetaker for portability. Personally
if I were the one doing the tech assessment, I would probably
recommend getting a small Braille display and a lightweight PC like a
netbook or ultrabook.  Netbooks are inexpensive, portable and have
long battery lives and I don't know of anything an elementary student
would do that couldn't be done on a netbook. RefreshaBraille from APH
can connect to the computer via USB or bluetooth if the computer is
bluetooth-enabled. It can also connect very easily with Macs and Apple
devices like iPhones, so if she were to get a Braille display she
could potentially have Braille access on your home computer as well,
though I suppose the same could be said of notetakers. While I haven't
used a notetaker since 2010, my experiences surfing the Internet with
Braille Notes has not been great. She definitely needs access to
either a Mac or PC though I'm not knowledgeable enough to comment on
which one is more critical to learn first. I do think once she learns
one operating system, she can self-teach another one if that becomes
necessary.
Arielle