[blindkid] PE in middle school

Brandy W., with Discovery Toys ballstobooks at gmail.com
Sat Mar 16 02:15:09 UTC 2013

I love the idea of learning how sports and such are played. No she may never
play them, but as an adult now I'm learning how sports work so I can attend
children's games, college games, and follow conversation with friends. While
I feel like I had a pretty good PE experience I was at a school for the
blind. I think having your child be taught a exercise routine that can be
followed through life is a valuable use of time. It is challenging for blind
persons to fit in at gyms, to play sports etc so having a way to stay
physically active as the years go by is a valuable life skill. While going
to college to become a teacher one of the classes I had to take was a class
called PE in the classroom. In this class we all had to learn to serve a
volleyball, to do the various kicks for soccer, to jump rope in different
styles, to skip, Gallup, hop,  to  do a few popular group dances, to stretch
in several ways, to understand basic sports and their moves. So I can
dribble a ball quite well now, and am glad I have the skill for hanging out
with the kids I take care of as I can now teach them. We hula hooped and
some other fun things too. I must admit in the beginning I hated this class,
and I mean hated it, but o the things I learned and now understand. I think
it is important that if you have adaptive PE that the teacher teach the
skills. So maybe she doesn't play baseball with the class, but she should
learn to hold a bat, learn how to swing it, and how the bases are laid out.
When the group does running and track and field skills so should she. The
trick is for her to learn the skills and not focus on the competive part,
but the skills and concepts. I now look back at this class as one of the
most valuable classes I took in college, and honestly don't know why many of
these physical skills weren't taught to me earlier. With that said I can't
tell you how many of my classmates couldn't do things I could do, and were
able to do other things. I can jump rope very well, but over half the class
couldn't, I could cartwheel, but many couldn't. So while I couldn't serve a
volley ball only the kids who played could. So it is ok if your daughter
leaves the school system not knowing everything about sports and physical
activities as no kid learns it all, but she should have well rounded
experiences that will travel with her in adult life.

I agree that the OT should really be working on dressing out. If she needs
someone to help her this is going to cause major social troubles for her.
Middle school is hard for any 6th grader, but every extra way a blind kid is
singled out is just one more way they won't fit in. I know it is a little
OT, but I'd also be looking to your daughter's interests, and the middle
schools offerings for these interests. Does she like to write have her join
the writers club. If she likes to sing have an elective be choir, etc. Some
middle schools have lunch groups and clubs that make it easier to make
friends because they are a guided lunch that you have to be invited to join.
Some schools also have lunch and afterschool game clubs.

There are several accessible combination locks available so hopefully if you
can try some out ahead of time you can find one she can do. Starting now
would be good because she is likely to have a regular locker for her coat
and such too, so having a pad lock she can open is pretty important.

Good luck, and keep asking us as we have either been through it ourselves or
have children who have, and we are happy to help.

Bran