[blindkid] OT for 7th grader

Arielle Silverman arielle71 at gmail.com
Wed Mar 20 16:03:12 UTC 2013

Hi Heidi and all,
If she's in seventh grade and isn't having any major sensory or fine
motor issues, I'd suggest dropping the OT. There is always something
she can be learning or refining, but at some point being pulled out
from class for a service becomes more of a harm than a help, both
academically and socially. In seventh grade missing class can have
serious consequences. Doing her OT before or after school is better,
but still makes for long, tiring days and could interfere with her
participation in social activities, music, sports, etc. At some point
you need to decide what services are important enough to justify the
extra time taken from parts of her mainstreamed education.
You might consider replacing the OT with instruction at home from a
rehab teacher or, ideally, a blind person who is willing to help your
daughter learn daily living skills. If she is struggling with things
like tying shoes or buttoning her coat, it could be a technique issue
rather than a fine motor one. Blind kids don't learn these skills
visually and sometimes it is hard to get good nonvisual instruction.
However, a rehab teacher or a skilled blind person can help figure out
what techniques would work better for her. Also, at her age she is
ready to learn basic cooking and cleaning skills if she hasn't
already. OT can't give that to her very easily but in-home rehab
instructors can. Talk with your local or state agencies and schools
for the blind about this service. If not that, there's always the
summer buddy programs.
Best,
Arielle