[blindkid] Fwd: Information Needed : San Jose Vision Services

Bernadette Jacobs bernienfb75 at gmail.com
Wed May 15 17:51:51 UTC 2013

On 5/14/13, Sanjay Choudhary <choudhary01 at gmail.com> wrote:
> All,
> Our son Raghav Choudhary is 7th grade student who gets vision services in
> regular school in Howard county, Maryland. He has some vision in his one
> eye
> and he prefers to read large print(40 size fonts). I got a job in San Jose
> area and looking for  house in Evergreen School District in south San Jose.
> I talked to special education department in Evergreen school district and
> learned that they don't support students with special needs in regular
> classroom. They place students  in private school.
> Does anybody has any experience with private schools for special needs
> student in this area ?
>
> We will really appreciate if we get the student/parents perspective on
> special education services available in south San Jose area. This will help
> us make right decision.
> Thanks in advance.
>
> Sanjay and Chitra
> 240-486-1245
> http://nfbnet.org/mailman/options/blindkid_nfbnet.org/bernienfb75%40gmail.com

Good Afternoon:

Unfortunately, my dear, this is a case where reality is going to be
woefully and brutally painful.

Firstly, RE: print at 40-font?  sorry my friend, there is no such
thing in a textbook.  We had a public school try that same thing with
my daughter and the lowest she could get down to was 48-font.  They
started her at 72 until I went in with barrels blazing and told them
to wake up and smell the coffee, (reality)!  Furthermore, if his
vision changes, and he doesn't learn Braille now, as he should have
learned it long ago, That poor baby is going to want to learn to start
digging!  I had a very close friend go through that very thing.  She
read large print all the way through school and college.  One morning,
she woke up and it was all gone...

Your dear son is blind, just like my two children are and I have
simply loved them for what and who they are.  Blindness is really Okay
my friend!  I'm totally blind myself.  And, ya know what, it was my
very own mother some 50 years ago who began pushing Braille for me as
well.  I learned to appreciate it so much that I really had a blast
reading it under the covers at night with the lights off.  Read many a
book that way.  Didn't have to worry about eye strain, headaches, or
any of it!!  It was great!!

Now, onto the next item of business here.  You're actually writing to
me just in time to register for any one of our summer buddy programs.

Unfortunately, as for private schools,  the school district isn't
obligated to accomodate for special needs for private schools:
Braille, large print, cane travel, or anything else for that matter
because they don't receive state/Federal funding.  Unfortunately,
honey, that's the reality of it.  I urge you, however, to keep in
touch on the list here.  There are folks here who have done some
absolutely amazing things.

Bernie