[blindkid] Being held back a grade

Richard Holloway rholloway at gopbc.org
Wed May 29 14:55:23 UTC 2013

The whole social maturity / age issue can be a real challenge. I think that too often, that concern gets overlooked in the haste to address academic concerns. I'm speaking in general terms, not just in one particular case.

It feel it can actually be a concern in both directions. I went through school a year ahead. I was a bright child and I believe my mom was anxious to go back to work, so my parents started me a year early. Academically, it was not a particular problem-- Despite being ahead, I was in advanced classes and did quite well throughout school. My peers often thought i was "lucky", but I don't think it was the best decision.  Socially, and physically, many other kids matured faster than I did, and most of my friends were "dating" a school year or so before I was as well... I surely didn't care for that. Even once I got to college, I remember going out with a nice girl who was around 19 (I was well into my freshman year). Things went just fine until she learned I was 17.

Yet on the other end of the scale, especially around middle school years, nobody wants to be the child developing first and standing out for that, let alone seeing peers they've been in school with for many years move ahead a grade when they are held back. Surely there are reasons that kids sometimes need to be held back (or moved ahead). I just hope that when it happens it is for the right reasons, not simply for the convenience of the teaching staff, etc.

Richard