[blindkid] Those Amazing Inspiring Blind People

Michelle mballard at bex.net
Wed May 29 16:12:27 UTC 2013

My son Jalen, age 10, also doesn't like to be praised for doing anything well. He is very bright and doesn't like it when I tell him I'm proud of what a great student he is, or when he does well on a test/project. I'm not praising him because he's blind, but because he's done well!  He too excelled musically as a young child and when people would clap for him he covered his ears and cried. Not because of the loudness, but because he was being praised. He no longer plays or does music. He is now interested in computer programming. I also get frustrated when people say how amazing it is when he reads. I mean he's 10, he should be reading, not so amazing.

I am trying to raise him as I would any sighted child, I don't expect  any less, we just may do things a bit different to get the same outcome, but we do them! I think I'm actually harder on him and expect more that I would. He too has become a perfectionist and is hard on himself.

Richard, hopefully we can meet in LA at the Braille Challenge! Congrats to Kendra!! Jalen will be in the Sophomore group this year as he's a 5th grader! This is such a great experience, because the one thing Jalen does enjoy is being around other blind kids!

Thanks!
Michelle