[blindkid] Audio reading book for Library

Heather Field missheather at comcast.net
Thu Nov 14 00:41:36 UTC 2013

Hello,
If students are reading, then the braille reader should be reading a book.
there is absolutely no circumstances when "listening" to an audio book can
be called reading. A braille reader is only "reading" when his fingers are
skimming over braille dots.  This is outrageous and I would call an IEP
meeting and demand that it be put into the IEP that  this student will read
all his books in braille. At this grade level there is no reason why his
text books and all assigned reading books are not provided in braille. There
is absolutely no excuse for the teacher's behaviour. I never cease to be
amazed at what these teachers try to get away with and, they blame the
child, or braille, or something else for their unprofessionalism. Why should
the braille reader have lower expectations to meet? No wonder braille
reading students don't achieve  good braille reading speed, they have
teachers of blind students preventing them. I know there are fabulous
teachers of blind students out there, I just can't wait till they outnumber
those who seem to work against the best interests of blind students.
So frustrating.

Regards,
Heather