[blindkid] Audio Books for Library time

Heather Field missheather at comcast.net
Thu Nov 14 22:24:37 UTC 2013

Hello Trudy,
In your position I would call an IEP meeting and get it in the IEP that
"all" books will be braille and that no audio books will be used until it is
decided at a future IEP meeting that they have become appropriate e.g.. no
braille copy is available. Unless you have things in the IEP school
personnel will do whatever is most convenient for them; often these
decisions are not in the best interest of the student. Library books are one
of the major motivators available to your son with regard to improving his
braille reading speed. I would not allow this to continue. If you are
constantly calling for yet another IEP meeting the school staff soon come to
realise that you will not hesitate to make them accountable and, as their
time is so precious to them, they really don't like getting constantly
dragged to yet another IEP meeting. So, they will become more respectful of
your son's rights to a free and "appropriate" education because of what you
make it cost them when they do not.
Warmly,
Heather