[blindkid] Elementary math question

Brandon and Sarah lanesims at gmail.com
Fri Oct 4 17:40:39 UTC 2013

Arielle and others,

I love the reminder that there is nothing inherently visually about math or
science...it's just the way most of us sighted folks tend to think about
them and teach them.

As for the tutor idea - I think that's an excellent idea. The only reason I
don't consider it is that I already am the tutor when we're at home and
there aren't enough hours in the day (or energy in the kid!)  to add to
that. It also gives me the opportunity to frequently guage where she is,
what the struggles are, etc. This way I can have more informed discussions
with the TVI and the gen ed teachers.

We (parents) and the TVI are working toward getting a para in the class
for some one-on-one teaching - I think this is really where the short term
solution lies. Mainstreaming is all well and good, but if the student is
hobbled because she doesn't have the necessary tools to succeed, then it
becomes harmful in several ways, some of which are apparent here and need
to be reversed pronto. Of course, telling the district that they need
another staff member on board, especially in Idaho, well...regardless of
the law, it's not a simple process. Luckily, we have an ally in the TVI and
are working through the process as quickly as possible. Brandon