[blindkid] Guided running techniques for blind grade-school kids

Arielle Silverman arielle71 at gmail.com
Thu Apr 10 23:19:31 UTC 2014

Hi all,

I'm on a message board where a mom of a blind 6-year-old described how
her daughter hates PE and running. She wanted to decrease her
daughter's gym time. I asked her how her daughter runs in PE class,
and she said that her daughter runs with another child and she folds
her cane in half, holds one side and has the other child hold the
other to guide her. That method doesn't sound great to me, but I'm not
very athletic and don't know what the best alternative is to suggest.
What do you think would be the best way for a young blind student to
participate in running along with her peers? The mom also asked
whether volleyball can be adapted for the blind and I didn't know the
answer to that either. So any advice from you more athletic folks
would be great!

Arielle