[blindkid] Fwd: After school care

Ashley G ashleygaze at gmail.com
Fri Aug 1 00:23:53 UTC 2014

---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: Ashley G <ashleygaze at gmail.com>
Date: Thu, Jul 31, 2014 at 5:10 PM
Subject: Re: After school care
To: Carlton Anne Cook Walker <attorneywalker at gmail.com>

Thank you so much for the great info Carlton.

You are correct. I found this out yesterday.  It is the Y's responsibility
to provide reasonable accommodations for Audrey, and I believe they're
going to. This morning I met with the School Programs Coordinator and the
Youth and Family Services Coordinator at the Y this morning to discuss
supporting Audrey in an after school program, and I felt really good about
our meeting.

They are going to add another staff member, who will be there to help
support Audrey an another child with autism as needed.  At after care, I
don't really think she will need a 1:1 aide since she won't be doing
focused academic work, but she may need that 1:1 support at times.  They're
also going to provide inclusion training for the staff on autism, behaviors
in general, and blindness (this is important since there is a program for
VI kids at the school).   They're going to have a copy of her behavior plan
and are going to follow the same system she uses during the school day, and
they were open to many of the accommodations I had mentioned--older peer
buddy, a quiet space to relax, and they were fine with us sending in things
from home (headphones, comfort toys etc.)

A friend of mine told me that since the Y is a private organization,
separate from the school, we can have an ABA provider come and work with
her during the time she is in the after school program.  This would be
ideal, since her main challenges occur in social settings, and since she
has a hard time initiating and sustaining social interactions with other
children.  It would also add another adult to the equation, which I think
will be especially important at the beginning of the school year when ALL
of the kindergartners will be needing some extra help.

When we worked on her IEP, we planned for extra O&M and PT hours at the
beginning of the year to work on some of those independence skills.  I
couldn't agree with you more on that.  In order for a student to really be
ready for the academic learning, they first need to feel safe and confident
in their surroundings.  When we created her IEP goals, we also made sure
they touched on all of the areas in the Expanded Core Curriculum.  For all
students, school is a place where they learn more than just academics, but
we as parents have to really be explicit and insistent that staff
understand why these other areas are so important and that opportunities in
these areas need to be specifically created for our children.  I'm hoping
that all of these things will help ease her transition so that she can be
successful in school and generalize that to her afterschool program as
well.

Thanks again....so much!!!