[blindkid] Charter School

mindy heppe prmheppe at yahoo.com
Tue Feb 18 15:54:22 UTC 2014

Traci--are you by any chance looking at the new Charlotte Mason charter school? I know it is in NC, but I don't remember where. I ask because we're the prototype CM charter school. Just wondering...Mindy

 In NC Charter school's get funding
 but only after the doors are open.  So
 everything they do before then is through fundraising or the
 board putting
 in their own money to do so.  They are sort of like an
 island.  They are a
 public school but they get to decide how they will teach the
 kids and
 challenge them.  They will work to each child's ability
 and meet them where
 they are.  This board seems really dedicated and if
 they are doing it all
 without compensation, that says alot.  I'm anxious to
 see if we make it
 through the lottery to then sit and  talk to them about
 it.  There are alot
 of charter schools in NC so there is definitely a foundation
 already
 established here.

 Traci

 On Mon, Feb 17, 2014 at 10:48 PM, Penny Duffy <pennyduffy at gmail.com>
 wrote:

 > I think it will depend on your state and how the school
 are regulated and
 > how they are funded for special education services.
 >
 > Charter schools have the same requirement to follow the
 IEP  It doesn't
 > mean that its all worked out.
 >
 > In my state I wouldn't look to a charter school because
 they haven't really
 > figured out funding.  Charter Schools are
 relatively new here so they are
 > still figuring it out.   If there was a
 great school and My daughter's TVI
 > wasn't a school district employee than I would consider
 it and be a
 > trailblazer.  She has a great TVI and district
 provides great services.  In
 > NH the home district pays for the services but I am not
 comfortable that
 >  charter school would follow the IEP.  Also a
 charter school would be i
 > believe be an alternative placement and i don;t know if
 the home district
 > would approve it.
 > -Penny
 >

 > On Mon, Feb 17, 2014 at 12:36 PM, oandemom . <traci.mwd at gmail.com>
 wrote:

 > > Hello all!  I was curious if anyone had their
 child/children in a charter
 > > school.  We have a new science charter school
 opening in our area and
 > went
 > > to the information meeting and was really excited
 about it.  I know they
 > > are required to meet the requirements of the IEP,
 but I have heard of
 > other
 > > charter schools, where they don't provide a
 braillists, one doesn't even
 > > get TVI services any longer, etc.  I don't
 know the full stories behind
 > > these issue's, but I was wondering if others had
 any experiences and any
 > > suggestions to share if we were accepted via the
 lottery, which is the
 > > first hurdle.
 > >
 > > I know all the requirements for a VI child (except
 I have two!) is a huge
 > > expense for any school and I don't want their to
 be a sense of resentment
 > > that my children are costing them the most but the
 idea of a 18 child
 > > classroom, project  based and theme based
 instruction is very exci
 > > ing
 > >
 > > and I can see a VI child excelling in this
 environment.  I just want to
 > go
 > > in with both eye's open and know what I'm getting
 into!

 > > Thanks much,
 > > Traci (
 > > mom to