[blindkid] Refreshable Braille

Richard Holloway rholloway at gopbc.org
Thu Jan 16 00:44:58 UTC 2014

My daughter strongly prefers the larger displays, around 32 or 40 characters. That's about as big as they get, except for some insanely expensive 80 character units which have two rows of braille and cost in the $8,000 to $10,000 range (and as far as I know, they are direct-connect only). My brain has trouble processing that sort of price for a computer display!

You can hardwire (typically USB) to a computer and not need to maintain a battery charge, plus many current units will charge over USB for wireless use, like with an iPod, but you must have bluetooth available to connect to an iDevice, and you can go wireless with a computer that way too as needed. If you look at any older, used units, keep in mind that you probably need bluetooth. Also know that braille cells get dirty an stick when they are old, or can fail completely-- factor that in if you think of a used unit.

We had displays in the 18 to 20 character range then moved to the larger size ones. She had to go back once to a smaller machine while her unit was repaired once and was very frustrated. Still, some of her friends (and others I have met) do indeed prefer the smaller displays, sometimes liking to have a smaller area to move across and back to read, and the lower cost of the smaller units can obviously be a factor as well.

Remember that these things do break and need repairs. The service maintenance agreements are expensive, but if the unit fails and you don't have an SMA, you may have a giant repair bill once the initial warranty runs out.