[blindkid] More than just blindness

Ashley Bramlett bookwormahb at earthlink.net
Mon Jul 7 06:07:54 UTC 2014

Lalena,
I've been lurking a little while and will intro myself soon after most of
the list get back from convention.
I'm actually the child; grown now and career exploring, and my parents are
sighted.

I agree with you. There are not enough resources for addressing the needs of
multiple disabled kids and yes the NFB focusses on bright normal developing
kids. But many blind kids have multiple disabilities.

You raise some concerns which I'm sure others deal with. So your kid is
completely blind? like no vision even of close up objects?
How far delayed is he? how old? Where do you live? is bay area ca?

What are the issues with braille reading? Perhaps with more info someone may
be able to help.

I've seen those communication devices with pictures. Will he ever speak with
intervention, or is this permanent?
Does your TVI not have ideas? I mean, surely she or he has encountered
nonverbal blind kids before.
Maybe he can hold up objects to communicate to start with. For instance, toy
food can mean hungry and a common bathroom object like a towel can mean
needs to go to the bathroom.

I'll also write off list with some more thoughts.

Ashley