[blindkid] blindkid Digest, Vol 123, Issue 24

Lalena Fayre lalenas at gmail.com
Fri Jul 18 22:06:37 UTC 2014

The issues of change or unhappiness happens in all groups as one point or
another. I too have said countless times for people to get involved and
advocate for change, work towards a solution, form a subcommittee or
working group. Sometimes it works and many times it doesn't work. The
reasons are many. Some, as are just complainers. But I don't think that is
the majority.

Most don't know how to organize a group of people to make a change. They
speak up about an issue to the leadership because obviously the leaders
know how to affect change. They are seeking guidance, not a brush off to go
start a committee yourself. They are asking their leadership to listen and
look at a situation differently noting that their might be a kink in the
armor of the group. Leaders worth their salt will be grateful to have
instilled enough trust in their membership to bring a problem to light
versus planning a rebellion and taking half the membership with them. Yes,
that is rather Machiavellian and I exaggerate. *LOL* But my point is that
dissention isn't BAD and it shouldn't be pushed aside with a "go form a
subcommittee" response.

The last option I think applies to a lot of special needs parents. I'm
frankly far too tired to work on a national subcommittee or working group.
I can't do it. I am a single parent, I work part-time because of the needs
of my sons, I have very few resources to care for him and honestly the hour
or maybe 90 minutes I get a day to myself, I want to be able to have some
respite. Yes, part of that is reading here and inputting where I can. Of
course. But I just can't do more than that. And it's not because I'm a
complainer and I expect the NFB to do it. It's because I'm realistic about
what one person can handle.

Finally, as an organization, I think we need to be willing to pick up the
slack for those in the trenches of heavy parenting. There are parents who
are further down the road from me who can spend time, create some
organization and research, who can share their stories. I'm grateful to
them. Some day I too will be further down the road with my parenting, I
will be able to share my story and lift others up. (though I do share and
lift up others when I can) But in the meantime I would hope that the
response wouldn't be "you should form a committee".

I look forward to sharing input when I can with the working group that has
formed from this discussion.
Lalena