[blindkid] Blind Student & The Sighted Band Camp (Crystal Schumacher)

Arielle Silverman arielle71 at gmail.com
Fri Mar 7 17:08:47 UTC 2014

Wow. I can't even imagine how mortified I would have been at age 12/13
if somebody told me I would have to shower with somebody helping me. I
probably would have refused to attend...Or refused to shower! And I
have to ask, Do they expect Ben's same-age buddy to help with his
showering needs too?
(If we can't have a little fun with this atrocious situation what else
can we do?)

Seriously, I have GPS on my iPhone and I've used it a bit. I don't
think I would recommend it for camp navigation, unless the camp is
laid out over multiple blocks and involves street crossing. GPS just
isn't that detailed with its info, especially in rural-ish areas. You
could get him a Braille or talking compass to help with basic
directions, but honestly, most of the traveling he will be doing will
probably be in a group  setting and he can simply follow the other
kids. I'm not sure O&M orientation or a tactile map is really
necessary for a one-week trip where he will mostly be in a group.

Arielle