[blindkid] Music camp? Another alternative!

Bo Page bo.page at sbcglobal.net
Mon Mar 10 03:01:29 UTC 2014

This happened to my daughter with a college prep camp at Colorado that NFB runs.They actually discriminated against my daughter after I made them aware of her special needs.  I flew her there all the way from Connecticut and only to have her return in 1.5 weeks later. They decided that the extra help she needed was too much for them.  So they got rid of her to make things easier for them. This is how alive and well discrimination is with people with disabilities.  If the NFB sponsored event went down like this, anything is possible.

When my daughter attended the Florida School for the Blind for a year, even the visually impaired group of kids thought they were better than the completely blind students.  They referred to themselves at VI's, which meant they really weren't blind I guess.

The Carroll Center did the same thing to my daughter in Massachusetts. I've never met ruder people. She needed extra help so they excluded her from a program after meeting her saying they couldn't accommodate her because she needed extra help because of balance problems, and she badly needed to learn the skills.

I'm not saying that there is no place out there that will really help people, but we may have to look long and hard.  I'm only being honest here because I believe knowledge will empower us, and we can't fix what we don't know about.

After 21 years I'm disgusted with most organizations that claim they help the blind.  What they really mean is that they will help so long as they are only blind with nothing else wrong.