[blindkid] Braille instruction for 12 year old

Robert Jaquiss rjaquiss at earthlink.net
Tue May 13 17:44:40 UTC 2014

Hello Amber:

     UEB is Unified English Braille. Some contractions will go away and new
signs will be introduced to handle typography. Some of the rationale for UEB
is so that English countries around the world can share books. For example,
currently, the braille used in the U. S. is a bit different than the braille
used in the UK. A reasonably skilled braille reader can read books in either
code. The biggest difference for braille in the UK is that no capitalization
is used. UEB also is supposed to simplify the translation rules.

     As for your daughter, you need to make sure she can do the same things
her peers do. She should be able to use a PC to do assignments. She should
have a braille display that can connect with IOS devices or be used on a PC.
This will help with formatting and proper punctuation. As for Nemeth, if she
knows the signs needed for her schoolwork, she can learn more signs as they
are needed. If her peers are making measurements for science classes, there
is an accessible system that will allow her to do the same. Hope this helps.

Regards,

Robert