[blindkid] {Disarmed} FW: [Blindhomeschooler] Blind Chinese girl needs adoptive family

Deborah Kent Stein dkent5817 at att.net
Tue Aug 4 22:31:43 UTC 2015

From: Blindhomeschooler at yahoogroups.com [mailto:Blindhomeschooler at yahoogroups.com]
Sent: Tuesday, August 04, 2015 5:11 PM
To: Blindhomeschooler at yahoogroups.com
Subject: [Blindhomeschooler] Blind Chinese girl needs adoptive family

I recently found out about an eight- or nine-year-old girl from China who needs an adoptive family. The agency which has her file right now is calling her Rose.

Rose's video is posted at  <https://l.facebook.com/l.php?u=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.youtube.com%2Fwatch%3Fv%3DPri8FubEsQg%26feature%3Dyoutu.be&h=HAQGxsGl_> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pri8FubEsQg&feature=youtu.be. I found the video disturbing, as there seems to be no allowance for or understanding of the fact this child is blind. She is harassed and pushed around by her caretaker in the video, and I saw no compassion whatsoever shown. This caretaker behavior is not uncommon in China, but it upset me anyway thinking that my own daughter might have been treated the same way while waiting for us.

Rose is blind from glaucoma, but can sense light. She has had no known surgeries. She is introverted and does not talk much. She does not attend school. When the orphanage was asked what things she is good at, and what things she struggles with, they said they didn't know. I spent a few weeks trying to get answers to a few simple questions, and the orphanage proved quite unwilling to answer any of them.

I don't know what Rose's potential is, but based on the video, the difficulty in getting basic questions answered, and no one even knowing what she is good at, it does not appear that much attempt is being made to maximize whatever that potential is.

Right now, information on adopting Rose can be obtained by contacting Xiaoqing at  Bay Area Adoption Services at (415) 459-2481 or emailing her at xiaoqing at baas.org <mailto:xiaoqing at baas.org> . When I asked Xiaoqing to advocate for moving Rose to an orphanage near Beijing that works with blind and visually impaired children, she seemed to understand the need and to be willing to help facilitate that to the best of her ability.

I do not work for this agency; my heart was just broken seeing the lack of compassion this poor child has in her life, and I am hoping someone will step forward to add her to their family.

  _____

Posted by: goforwand22 at yahoo.com <mailto:goforwand22 at yahoo.com>

  _____

  <http://geo.yahoo.com/serv?s=97476590/grpId=11862796/grpspId=1705082154/msgId=13377/stime=1438726276>