[blindkid] Stand Alone Braille Display for Academics

Marianne Denning marianne at denningweb.com
Mon Aug 24 11:00:33 UTC 2015

Eric, if this is your plan I would justify it by saying that the
Braillenote can be a challenge to pair with a Windows laptop.  I would
also want a 40 cell display because it better represents the large
braille page.  The 11 by 11-1/2 braille paper has 40 cells.

You need to think about why you want a dedicated braille display.  Do
you want your child to complete assignments on the computer? Is there
work your child needs to complete on the computer rather than the
Braillenote?  Do you have someone who teaches your child technology?
If so, that person would be the best person to make this
recommendation.  A technology assessment would be very helpful.  I
have many different tools in my toolbox of devices from a Perkins
brailler through a dedicated braille display.  I decide when each tool
will be the most helpful.  I don't have anything because it is cool.
I have each tool because it helps me in my career.  How will the
dedicated braille display help your child?

--
Marianne Denning, TVI, MA
(513) 607-6053