[blindkid] Why braille for people with low vision

Ashley Bramlett bookwormahb at earthlink.net
Tue Dec 22 05:41:43 UTC 2015

Hi,
Thanks for sharing. I enjoyed this article written by Allison and she's on
this list.
I  think there are so many great points in the article. Low vision students
can read braille without the issues print brings like eye fatigue, strain,
the need for brighter lighting, and of course efficiency provided they learn
braille young.
I learned braille as a young student after print. I was fortunate since my
TVI noticed how print gave me problems with tracking lines and was real
slow. I can read both now and rely on braille more, but print is very useful
for recognizing things for mobility and daily living skills such as
identifying cans of food, reading labels on soda cans, seeing street signs,
seeing store signs, and sometimes reading menus.
Of course tactile and braille labels are alternatives, but I like being able
to  scan for items without the work of labeling.

So, I definitely support legally blind students learning braille. It’s a
life changer.

Ashley