[blindkid] Home economics

Marianne Denning marianne at denningweb.com
Sat Jan 24 15:48:53 UTC 2015

Penny is right.  Here are just a few suggestions on prepping the
kitchen and tools.
1.  All appliances should be marked with tactile markers like Touch
Dots or Bump Dots but keep the marks to a minimum.
2.  They should use graduated measuring cups and spoons.
3.  Oven mitts are preferable over potholders.
4. The TVI should provide a complete familiarization to the kitchen.
5. If your daughter has low vision high contrast is very important so
the measuring cups should probably be black since most things we
measure are white.
6.  Blind and visually impaired people can and do use a sewing machine.
7.  APH has Freds Head data base and it is a terrific resource for
many tips and tricks.
8.  Anything I have mentioned here can also be done at your home so
she can continue to use the skills she will learn.

--
Marianne Denning, TVI, MA
(513) 607-6053