[blindkid] It's that time of year again!

Linda A.Coccovizzo Linda.Coccovizzo at MCCKC.EDU
Tue Nov 17 19:48:03 UTC 2015

I do try and find the most popular movies and music that they will enjoy, and be able to talk about with friends at school. I try and do the same with toys and such, but accessibility can be an issue. That's why I come here and to places like this list to get ideas on what might be hip and accessible, too. I am constantly searching for cool, accessible stuff.

-----Original Message-----
From: blindkid [mailto:blindkid-bounces at nfbnet.org] On Behalf Of Allison Hilliker via blindkid
Sent: Tuesday, November 17, 2015 12:42 PM
To: Blind Kid Mailing List, (for parents of blind children)
Cc: Allison Hilliker
Subject: Re: [blindkid] It's that time of year again!

Hi,

I had a thought that you might try. Could you research gift items that sighted kids your daughters' age are asking for this Christmas?  You could learn from other parents, neighbors, relatives, Facebook, or even look at age-related gift suggestions from sites like Amazon. Your daughters may not know about such items to ask for them, but they may like them all the same. They don't get the benefit of seeing ads on TV or in magazines, and they can't even see what toys/gadgets/accessories their friends have at school or home unless the friend specifically mentions it. But not knowing about something may not mean your girls aren't interested, just that they don't know about it. Or if they know about something, they may not realize how/why they could use it themselves.

Also, if the girls receive gifts that are similar to those of their sighted classmates, they have more things in common to potentially talk about. Your girls may be blind, but anything else they can have that is similar to sighted kids can make the larger differences seem less large.

Here's one example from my own life... I'm blind, and when I was maybe 13-y-o, my mom bought me a magnetic purple holder to stick on my locker door. I could put small things in it like chap stick, note cards, and a tiny hair brush. I also decorated it with a sticker from a local radio station. It turns out that this was something that tons of girls my age were doing in the 90s, and I had no idea it was done. When at school for some meting or other, my mom happened to notice that most of the kids' lockers had decorations, and mine did not. I never thought to ask about these magnetic holders because I simply didn't know they existed. When my mom got me one and explained how and why it was used, I loved it. It helped me fit in and gave me a conversation piece when other kids noticed the radio station sticker and realized I listened to the same pop station they did. It wasn't ground-breaking, it didn't win me a ton of friends or anything, but it was one small thing that I'm glad my mom did because it helped me fit in with other kids more. Sure blindness may've seemed strange, but other things about me, like my locker, didn't have to be. I've always felt that dozens of those small things in a blind kid/teen's life can build up over time to make it easier to connect with sighted peers.

JMO,
Allison