[blindkid] How Blind Children can help with Thanksgiving Preparations

Marianne Denning marianne at denningweb.com
Tue Oct 27 14:21:40 UTC 2015

Blind children can participate in the same age appropriate way their
sighted peers participate.  I am blind and have cooked Thanksgiving meals
for many years.  Be sure you have oven mits, graduated measuring cups, and
anything else that will make cooking safe for all family members.  I am the
host mom for a totally blind student from the Republic of Georgia.  The
parents meant well but they did not allow him to do anything.  He wants to
be independent so badly and I am teaching him the skills as we go.  It is
much easier to teach those skills to young children than teens.  I am a TVI
and also worked as a rehabilitation teacher.  Please feel free to ask
specific questions and many on this list will give suggestions.

--
Marianne Denning, TVI, MA
(513) 607-6053