[blindkid] My Technology Journey

IftheShew Fits barnesraiser at gmail.com
Mon Sep 14 12:07:54 UTC 2015

My son started out in Kindergarten using only paper Braille and learned how
to use the Perkins Brailler. In 2nd or 3rd grade at the state academy for
the blind he got the use of an older mPower and later an Apex but only in
school. He learned to use Jaws about that time as well as ZoomText and
probably others I don't remember. In 4th or 5th grade I requested and
received an Apex for his home use for a school year. During that year I
applied to our local Lion's Club for a grant to get him a Focus 40 and an
iPad which we received from them. My son has been using that device almost
exclusively since. He just entered 6th grade. With that he downloads books
using Read2Go and they output in Braille to his Focus. So that's our story!

Our next step is to learn if the KNFB reader app will output to the Focus
40. My son left the academy this year and is attending a local private
school. It's on me to provide him materials in Braille and I'm wondering
(hoping) that this is our solution.

Thanks for sharing! Best to you!

:) Carolynn B