[blindkid] Cell phone for my teen

Bill Dengler codeofdusk at gmail.com
Fri Sep 2 20:05:28 UTC 2016

iOS and Android have full accessibility for the blind and visually impaired built-in.
If you’re looking for a device with an intuitive touch interface, good Braille support, good long term support, frequent and timely updates, continuity with other Apple devices (Mac, Apple Watch, etc), and a wide selection of available blind-friendly apps, the iPhone is your best bet.
If customizability, a true filesystem, hardware keyboard support, continuity with Windows, and/or cost are more important to you, Android (particularly newer versions) may be a better bet.
What’s your price range? The current base-model iPhone, which has only 16GB of storage (which honestly isn’t that much in 2016) starts at $649. A much more respectable 64GB model goes for around $750. In the Android department, the Nexus 6p, with a (reasonable) 32GB of storage, starts at $499. Bumping that up to 64GB brings the cost to $549.
Now isn’t the best time to buy a device though, as Apple and Google are both about to release new models. This often means you can get a better deal, by buying "last year’s model"; Best Buy currently has last year’s iPhone starting at $300 for 16GB (again, not very much storage).
Hope that helped, and feel free to ask any other questions you might have.

Thanks,
Bill