[blindkid] The Blind Teaching the Blind; Kitchen Advice Wanted

Linda A.Coccovizzo Linda.Coccovizzo at MCCKC.EDU
Thu Feb 16 19:54:17 UTC 2017

My mom always used to tell me that she was afraid to try and teach me how to do major cooking because she couldn't see what I was doing, and I couldn't see what she was doing. It made for a dangerous combination. I have a complete respect for that thought process now that I am a blind mom trying to give
my blind kids the tools they need to be independent in all aspects, including being not only safe ,but comfortable in the kitchen. I learned through some experience as a kid at home, a crash course or two in daily living skills, and just plain winging it. I have rarely used adaptive equipment in the kitchen. I'm starting to realize that I simply cannot teach Sarah and Terra the way I learned, nor can I really teach them a lot of the techniques I use now. There are things available out there that might benefit them. So, I'm curious what some of you have used? If you are losing your sight, or have not always been blind, or maybe you have, and there are just some things you have found that helped you deal with, or get over things like the fear of the heat of the stove or oven. Maybe you have ideas to teach the girls to get things like pasta safely from the stove to the sink to drain it. Possibly you're a teacher, and know all the good stuff. Share all your cooking secrets with us. (smile)