[blindkid] New community

Kane Brolin kbrolin65 at gmail.com
Thu Nov 2 00:55:47 UTC 2017

Adrijana:

I'm really glad you have shared this one.  I understand it might not
relate to blindness per se.  But children and adults living with fetal
alcohol spectrum disorders for sure comprise an under-served
population, and their condition is frightening to those who haven't
learned how to deal with this.

About 13 years ago, my sister and her husband adopted a little girl
from Russia.  They were highly fortunate, in that Olga turned out to
be a very healthy youth who lerned to be extremely positive toward
other people and to life experiences in general.  But I know that FASD
is quite prevalent among children who come from some portions of
Eastern Europe, and this condition can prove devastating to them as
well as to loved ones and caregivers who try to help.  It is great to
know there is an actual community where young adults facing this
condition can give and receive support and where their families
presumably can stay involved.

I am a foster parent and an adoptive parent.  I have shared this
information about the Platteville, Wisconsin community with those in a
Facebook community consisting of others in this rea who are foster and
adoptive parents.  Wisconsin is not terribly far from me.  Perhaps
someone will be blessed directly to know that Aloha is out there.

Thank you.

-Kane