[BlindKid] Teach a Child, Change the World: Paid Summer Teaching Opportunity

Anderson, Karen KAnderson at nfb.org
Thu Nov 7 08:00:17 UTC 2019

Participate in the NFB BELL® Academy Teacher Immersion Program

Are you a teacher of blind students or a future
teacher working on certification? Consider
training and support with NFB BELL® Academy.
Apply for the National Federation of the Blind’s
2020 Teacher Training and Immersion Program for
NFB BELL Academy­also known as Braille Enrichment for Literacy and Learning®.
Dynamic teaching opportunity. World-class professionals. Hands-on experience.
Financial compensation included.

About the program:
This program is for teachers or future teachers who:
Believe in the capabilities of blind children.
Actively promote the age-appropriate and
effective use of Braille. Understand that
exposure to independent blind role models plays
an integral role in the academic and social
success of blind students. Have enthusiasm about making learning fun.

This program consists of:
A weekend of training on the curriculum,
philosophy, and structure of our NFB BELL
Academy.  This weekend will take place at the
Jernigan Institute in Baltimore, Maryland,
beginning on Thursday evening, January 9 and
concluding on Sunday, January 12, 2020.  The
National Federation of the Blind will cover
travel, lodging, and meals. One to two weeks at
one of our early NFB BELL Academies (May or early
June, 2020), shadowing an experienced BELL
Academy teacher, and gradually moving into a
teaching role under the supervising teacher.  The
cost of the immersion experience in one of our
early academies will be covered by the National
Federation of the Blind. Teachers agree to be the
lead teacher in at least one other BELL Academy
during the 2020 summer season. Support from an
experienced NFB BELL Academy teacher who will be
available for questions and assistance in
preparing for the role of lead teacher for one of our state affiliates.

How to apply
To apply, send your resume and a cover letter
describing why you are interested in the program
to BELL at nfb.org by November 15, 2019. A
background check will be performed prior to your
acceptance into the program. Learn more about the
NFB BELL Academy at https://www.nfb.org/programs-services/nfb-bell-academy.

Karen Anderson
Education Programs Coordinator
200 East Wells Street, Baltimore, MD 21230
(410) 659-9314, extension 2243 | <mailto:KAnderson at nfb.org>KAnderson at nfb.org

<https://nfb.org/>
National Federation of the Blind

                          <http://www.facebook.com/nationalfederationoftheblind>
Facebook
     <https://twitter.com/NFB_Voice>
Twitter
     <https://www.youtube.com/NationsBlind>
Youtube

The National Federation of the Blind is a
community of members and friends who believe in
the hopes and dreams of the nation’s blind. Every
day we work together to help blind people live the lives they want.