[BlindKid] I would like to post this about Rene Donalvo Carlson's gift to us

Jane Osburn janeosburn77 at gmail.com
Tue Sep 1 13:38:23 UTC 2020

Time to Read, Time Together, Time to Read Together!
Thank you Renee Donalvo Carlson!
by Jane Osburn and Scott Wales

On the last day of Bell Camp, in August 2017, we all gathered at the
NFB building in Baltimore. I walked across the room to where Renee
Donalvo Carlson was working at a small table. I’d known Renee since
earlier in the summer when her husband Don volunteered to drive the
group of campers from our area to and from the Bell Camp at the
Glendale campus. I mentioned that we were trying to help our son Paul
find new friends, and Renee quickly suggested that she would like to
start up monthly tutoring sessions with Paul and Luis, who Paul had
befriended at Bell. From that day on, until the pandemic hit, the
group met almost every month to practice Braille, share some treats,
and have a fun time together.

Since March of this year, Paul has been reading Braille with Renee
three times a week, for thirty minutes, over the phone.  Thank you,
Renee, for this enormous gift of your time, knowledge, patience and
good cheer!