[blindlaw] IQ Testing

Michael Fry mikefry79 at gmail.com
Mon Nov 10 19:12:05 UTC 2008

I think, visual information enters the mind and is processed virtually
effortlessly whereas verbal information builds on top of itself through
time.  The more extensive a vocabulary is and the more concepts an
individual has been exposed to will likely increase an IQ score.  It's hard
to imagine how a visually impaired 4 year old with a necessarily limited
vocabulary and episodic imagination because of her age can have an
accurately measured I.Q.  The IQ is probably accurate of her performance
compared to her peers however it is probably not indicative of future
performance as it would be with other children since she is an outlier
subject because she unlike all the other members in the statistical sample
is visually disabled.

I'm no expert but I'd recommend tons of audio books read by professional
readers so her mind can be enriched with an extensive vocabulary and
concepts that would otherwise likely be inaccessible.  Don't necessarily
pick commerically successful books like Harry Potter because many of them
are geared towards less educated idiots.  Charles Dickens, biographies, and
others are probably good choices in addition to pop culture.  Going the
extra mile while she's young will likely pay off.  Remember Obama's story
about his mother waking him up early in the morning while he was elementary
school to study.  She said to him "this is no picnic for me either
buster."

The point is, is that IQ test are statistical measures.  Statistics can only
describe likely outcomes of a population, however statistics should never be
used to describe an individual.  Your assumption and concern that the IQ
test has little to no utility in describing your daughter is correct
 because your daughter is a far outlier and the test no matter if
accommodations were made isn't designed for her at this age.  In ten years
however, after plenty of her peers have been screwed-up on drugs, or
by uncaring parents, or bad influencing older siblings and your daughters
vocabulary has been extensively enriched beyond her peers because she's read
all the classics and knows the biographies of all great Americans then the
test will likely have more utility as it will get her into Harvard or some
other prestigious school.

Mike