[blindlaw] job discrimination

Alex heyitslu at gmail.com
Thu Feb 26 01:36:32 UTC 2009

Back to the subject of the interview in which higher insurance
premiums would be the cost of hiring a blind person,...  Because this
is the way I usually handle these episodes, I would have answered with
a question,... "When did wearing glasses cause insurance premiums to
increase?  And, if your insurance carrier increases premiums because a
blind person is working here, you might want to search for another
option because there are some out there who have heard of the ADA and
for that matter have some shred of common sense."  I realize that
would not have gotten me the job either, but I got my first job after
answering the call for an interview by telling my future employer that
if she was not willing to hire a blind person to work for her, I would
like to decline the interview.  I had been on many interviews over an
18 month period and felt that some would just not take a chance on
hiring me because I am blind.  Well, she interviewed and hired me but
in one of my evaluations explained that I would not be trained to do
my job because I would not be able to see the training materials or be
able to travel to the training site.  Following the evaluation, I
quickly found another job because I had realized I would not have a
bright future with a company with such interesting ideas about why
people should or should not be trained.  Lucy