[blindlaw] JAWS and Internet Explorer

Mike Gilmore m_b_gilmore at yahoo.com
Tue May 5 18:16:42 UTC 2009

I realize this isn't a legal post or a job post; however, I didn't know how many of the JAWS users out there were aware that Internet Explorer 8 only works with Jaws 10.0.
For those of you who are still using IE 7 and an earlier version of JAWS, you are probably finding that you can not open your yahoo e-mail and read them. In fact, JAWS 10 has an upgrade that can be downloaded so that IE8 can be utilized to use gmail and yahoo e-mail (i.e., to open a message.)

If any of you out there are computer savvy, I was wondering if it was the MSAA mode of earlie JAWS versions that don't quite sync up with IE8 and allow the opening of yahoo e-mails anymore. I ask because I tried a little experiment yesterday. If you turn off JAWS and run the voice for a screen magnifier (I have no idea if it came with JAWS or Openbook--most likely JAWS), you can open a yahoo e-mail and forward it to hotmail let's say for example. Even so, you can't read the message in yahoo and thus need to turn JAWS back on and go to the other e-mail account to read it. The magnifier reader reads links but that's it. I apologize if this starting to sound a little rambling; but, I wanted to get the word out. Perhaps NFB or someone should contact yahoo and let them know the problem they have caused to those who use versions of JAWS that precede 10.0 and Internet Explorer that precede 8.0. Let's face it: upgrades are nice (and granted there are some new
 features in the new Jaws that are more convenient); but, why should we have to upgrade each time they upgrade?

Just food for thought.

 Mike