[blindlaw] LSAT Accommodations?

James Pepper b75205 at gmail.com
Mon May 18 17:34:43 UTC 2009

When I was in college I had to take a giant tape recorder with me that was
about half the size of a modern backpack as it was one of the first cassette
recorders.  One of the professors was afraid of "Big Brother" and didn't
wantme recording his class for notes.  And I was perfectly prepared to
remember everything but it took the geology professor, who used to be a
marine drill sergeant who went up to the professor and just said to him,
"what are you doing?"

But I know of one college near me where the staff has the attitude that once
your are blind, that's it.  They just recently hired their first blind
employee.  they have a staff of over 1100 people.
When I was in High School I was in a wheel chair, and the shool claimed it
was accessible because it was set in a hill and every entrance went out onto
a part of the hill.  Of course there were stairs you had to get over but
somewhere on each level was one direct way out of the building without a
staircase.  Anyway the "ramps" were pavement applied to the hill.  And of
course this was after the Rehabilitation Act so they were required to make
the ramps.  The ramp from the parking lot to the first floor was outside (in
New Jersey) and I was expected to wheel myself up the ramp which was 150
feet long and about 50 feet high.

So I complained and the President of the Board of Education said that he
would be able to roll me up the ramp, no problem.  So I dared him and he got
out there and couldn't do it, not only that, but he lost control of me and
fortunately I was able to stop.  At the top the top of the hill the ramp led
to a staircase but there was more of the ramp going up into the hill and
that was an incline of about 70 degrees.  Then it leveled off and I had to
roll around the baseball field to find the entrance of the building.  I was
expected to do this in the snow.

The solution was that I had to use crutches on the staircases and the
teachers would let me out of class early so I could haul myself up the
staircase.

Years later a judge ordered them to build 3 elevators because they took out
the baseball field and built a town swimming pool and they noticed that the
school was not up to specs for ADA.  That was in the 90s when they put in
the elevator.

James Pepper