[blindlaw] Custody and Vision Loss

Frye, Dan DFrye at nfb.org
Wed May 20 21:53:20 UTC 2009

Natalie:

Please have your acquaintance contact me. If I am unable to help her, I
will be able to direct her to the appropriate person. Specifically, I
will need to know in which state she lives; laws vary from
jurisdiction-to-jurisdiction.

As part of our advocacy work on this issue (custody challenges based on
erroneous assumptions about vision loss and blindness), we have
collected quite a number of anecdotal testimonials from competent blind
parents. These alone are usually helpful to an attorney who also
understands that blindness in and of itself should not be a factor in
this determination. Of course, some blind people should not be parents,
but more often than not it is not because of their absence of vision. In
the rare instance that blindness is a legitimate factor, this can
usually be resolved with effective training. Finally, in Maryland the
state legislature has recently adopted some pretty progressive
legislation that precludes reference to disability as a cause for
determining matters of custody.

With Kind Regards,

***********************
Daniel B. Frye, J.D.