[blindlaw] Question About SSA Representation

ray wayne rwayne1 at nyc.rr.com
Thu Sep 24 23:21:45 UTC 2009

I expect that people closer to your home will reply, but in the meantime, here's what I know, or think I know.

Social Security has its own definitions, both of disability and of blindness.  To my knowledge, neither was affected by the ADA amendments.  Also, if the guy is legally blind, that is a separate category and is usually easier to prove than most other disabilities are.  Also, there are aspects of benefits that apply to blind people and not to people with other disabilities, one being the amounts one can earn without losing benefits.  So if he has blindness and some other disability or disabilities, go with blindness.

Finally, he doesn't have to have a lawyer, though it is a good idea to have someone who is experienced in advocating for Social Security applicants and recipients.

Good luck!

Ray Wayne, New York City