[blindlaw] On Topic

Scott C. LaBarre slabarre at labarrelaw.com
Fri Apr 2 13:41:32 UTC 2010

Agreed, I think that the discussion of the law relevant to the color of
one's cane has been exhausted.  The rest, although an interesting
philosophical discussion, is not germane to this list.  It may be an
interesting topic for some of our other discussion lists and I am sure a
whole bunch of folks would be happy to engage in that philosophical debate.
As the last point on this topic, I should mention that our founder, Dr.
tenBroek, did a great deal of work in the 40's, 50's, and 60's to get "white
cane" statutes adopted so that the cane and dog  were recognized as mobility
tools for the blind.  Additionally, those statutes were designed to extend
civil rights protections to our population as well.  In fact, Dr. tenBroek
attempted to get disability protection into the  landmark Civil Rights Act
of 1964.  I wish I could have met Dr. tenBroek because he truly was a man
way ahead of his time.  His teachings and legal arguments are still the
foundation of our legal advocacy today.  Again, I thank everyone for  the
interesting discussion and now it's time to move onto new topics.
Additionally, I wish all of you a terrific  holiday weekend!
Scott C. LaBarre, Esq.
President, NABL
LaBarre Law Offices P.C.
1660 South Albion Street, Ste. 918
Denver, Colorado 80222
303 504-5979 (voice)
303 757-3640 (fax)
slabarre at labarrelaw.com (e-mail)
www.labarrelaw.com (website)

CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE: This message may contain confidential and privileged
information. If you are not the designated recipient, you may not read,
copy, distribute or retain this message. If you received this message in
error, please notify the sender at 303) 504-5979 or slabarre at labarrelaw.com,
and destroy and delete it from your system. This message and any attachments
are covered by the Electronic
Communications Privacy Act, 18 U.S.C. §§ 2510-2521.