[blindlaw] Guide dogs in the workplace

Andrew Webb awebb2168 at hotmail.com
Fri Dec 17 07:48:52 UTC 2010

Hello -

I am seriously considering training for my first guide dog.  I wondered if
anyone in the white-collar professional world (law or otherwise) might have
any thoughts to share about the marriage of service animals to the
workplace?  I'm already fully aware of the legal right to bring guide dogs
to work as an accommodation.  Also, while I realize many people have strong
and varied opinions on the use of guide dogs from the standpoint of mobility
and independence, I'm not asking for those opinions here -- I've already
investigated the question at great length, and have concluded that for me
personally, a guide dog would be of significant help in my independent
travel.

My question, which I suppose can best be answered by guide dog users, is
whether there are any particular advantages or disadvantages/pitfalls in
using a dog as one negotiates a professional career.  Has anyone found
prospective employers to respond noticeably well, or else with discomfort,
to the presence of a guide dog during the interviewing/hiring process?  What
about reactions from co-workers on the job?  Has anyone ever felt that their
dog exposed them to unwanted scrutiny in their job, beyond that engendered
by the mere fact of being blind?

My own feeling is that a dog will help me to maneuver more confidently and
skillfully than I already do using my cane, and so I can only imagine that
this would be a positive in the workplace, just as it would in my personal
life.  But if anyone thinks that there might be professional downside that I
might not appreciate, I'm happy to get those thoughts.

Thanks.

Andrew Webb