[blindlaw] Re Guide Dog in the Workplace

Joe Orozco jsorozco at gmail.com
Sun Dec 19 02:09:39 UTC 2010

Elizabeth,

For a bit of fair and balanced perspectives, I'll refute your points with my
own experiences, though most of your points can be valid.  My responses are
in-line:

1.  Your cane doesn't love you.  Your dog is a living being with a
centuries-old bond to humankind, motivated by a quick intelligence, a
courageous and playful spirit, and a loving heart.

* Your cane doesn't love you, but nor is it demanding.  Smack on a tip every
so often, and it could care less if you're happy, sad, or in the mood for
going anywhere at the break of dawn.*

2.  Your cane extends your fingertip maybe six feet in front of you.  That's

good.  Your dog knows what's happening a block away--that construction site
that will make you retrace your steps; that cool coffee-house you might walk

right on by; that dear friend who hasn't noticed you yet.  That's great!

* And let's not forget the squirrels that entice even the most trained of
service animals.  If you were furry, had a tail and funny ears, wouldn't you
get excited if said friends were blowing kisses and generally distracting
you from doing your job and getting to your meeting on time?*

3.   With your cane and your developed mobility skills, you'll earn people's

respect for doing what they themselves can't imagine doing.  Your dog will
smile back at that pretty woman you've been too shy to approach, and make
that pickpocket think twice about picking yours.

* Do we really want to be respected for what our dog can do?  I thought
respect is something I came by for my own abilities.  That pickpocket may
think twice about snatching something from me, or he might love dogs and
stick his tongue out at it as he walks away with my wallet.  As for the
woman, well, do you want her to be more excited about seeing you or your
canine?*

4.   When you're feeling low, your cane won't have much to say about it.
Your dog's needs will get you up off the couch and outside into the fresh
air.

* Then again, when it's below 32 degrees outside, and the sidewalks are full
of unshoveled snow, you can enjoy feeling low and freezing at the same
time!*

5.   When was the last time you were out with the guys and told a funny
story about your cane?

* When was the last time you were out with your friends and had to stop to
try to clean up diarrhea?  Me thinks you'd be the butt end of that funny
story.*

In short, people think I'm cynical about guide dogs and wonder why I ever
got one.  I'm realistic is all, and while everything Elizabeth says can be
true, the sheer responsibility of owning a guide dog does not merely balance
the good times, it outweighs it.  If you can deal with all that, by all
means go out and get yourself a guide dog.  Responsibility notwithstanding
it can be a pretty great experience.  To give you something positive, I've
gotten Gator to the point where we can land at any gate at some airports and
find our way to the taxis without any assistance, as if on autopilot.  That,
to me, kicks ass.

Best,

Joe

I was 27 and in law school when I got my first dog.  I was a
very good cane
traveler, and still am when necessary.  Here's my take on the
advantages of
having a guide dog.

[...]

Weigh the evidence.

Happy Holidays,